Topics

Interference on N5RCA

Eric Smith

OK I have had the radio on most of the day today and heard the mystery folks that appear to be using 146.780 simplex today.

I listened for about 30 min and I never got a 100% copy on a call signs being used.

Around 8:00 tonight I heard more action and it was coming in on 146.780.

I got about 6 confirmed call signs, and they announced it was the Leon County ARC Net

Several of the call signs traced back to Centerville TX which is about ½ way between Dallas and Houston  about 110 miles or so south west of us.

Now THAT is some propagation.

I don’t know if it was the same guys I heard earlier this AM but if you are looking to make some 2M Simplex contacts tonight may be the time to do it!

Crazy Radio Waves…… 73 KR5G

Stephen Freeman

YES!  I listened to it as well!   I heard some guys this morning, like you said, and never heard call signs and then tonight, I listened to most of their net.  I heard their net a few weeks ago as well and mentioned it to Keith.  Very strange!   The Leon County repeater is supposed to be 145.450 per radio reference.

- Stephen

Ross Bennett

I never find any of the repeater directories very accurate. But in Texas at least we have the repeater coordinator’s directory online.  Here’s the Leon County repeaters from the Texas VHF-FM Society’s database:

OutputCityCountyCallsignLast UpdateNotesZone
146.7800CENTERVILLELEONWA5GED03-22-2017 05:26:37103.5esWX2
443.6750CENTERVILLELEONAI5TX10-15-2017 14:39:09C2
145.2100CENTERVILLELEONK3WIV04-04-2018 17:31:33C2
442.7750CENTERVILLELEONK3WIV04-04-2018 17:32:14C2
145.4500CENTERVILLELEONK5LCR04-04-2018 17:33:00C2
442.9750CENTERVILLELEONK5LCR04-04-2018 17:33:25C2
147.2800CENTERVILLELEONW5UOK06-06-2018 09:10:11146.2lsWX2
7 entries found... County = Leon

Mind—people tend to hold onto frequency pairs once they’ve been coordinated, and if a repeater is offline for five years, they might still be listed.  But this is probably the best shot at being close to correct.

On Nov 19, 2018, at 8:39 PM, Stephen Freeman <firebug@...> wrote:

YES!  I listened to it as well!   I heard some guys this morning, like you said, and never heard call signs and then tonight, I listened to most of their net.  I heard their net a few weeks ago as well and mentioned it to Keith.  Very strange!   The Leon County repeater is supposed to be 145.450 per radio reference.

- Stephen
_._,_._,_

Stephen Freeman

Thanks Ross, I should have looked there!  I'm still learning! lol!  It's now in my favorites!

Keith Ballow

This would be a case where, if our current repeater had a tone encoder, you could set your radio to require a tone to open it’s squelch, and then you wouldn’t hear the other repeater, except maybe on the squelch tail of our repeater, if a conversation was going on, on it.

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

On Nov 19, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Ross Bennett <therossbennett@...> wrote:

[...]

image1.jpeg
It’s also interesting that the repeater in Bridgeport shows to be using the same PL tone as we are using.
Here’s a bit of trivia: we selected the 131.8 PL tone because all of the public service agencies in Rusk County use that tone, or did years ago when the Henderson repeater was first put on the air. At that time the repeater was located on one of the very tall towers at Mt. Enterprise, and the frequency was 146.920 Mhz. That machine was one of the VHF-FM Society’s machines. Eventually the tower was sold and we were asked to remove the repeater from the site. The folks in charge at the time were not interested in putting up another repeater in Henderson, and I’m not sure what became of that machine. Because the Henderson Rescue Unit was active as spotters with Skywarn, the Rescue Unit purchased the current machine we are still using today, and placed an antenna on the water tower near the traffic star. This machine worked well for many years until another repeater was installed on the same water tower for the Commissioners, or some other group. Shortly after that our repeater started having antenna and or feedline issues and it’s range became very limited. Along about that same time the 9-11 attacks happened and the Homeland Security regulations that were enacted made it very difficult for us to get access to the water tower site to manage the repeater.
This was about the time the Rusk County Amateur Radio Club was was formed and one of the first items of business was to find a new location for the repeater. Prior to this the Rescue Unit also had a repeater located at the Rusk County Electric Co-op, using the spare antenna on their tower.
The Rescue Unit let their repeater license lapse and removed their repeater from the co-op site.
We were fortunate to be able to put our repeater at the co-op, on the antenna the Rescue Unit vacated.
Part of that was because the Amateurs who were in the Rescue Unit were involved with Skywarn and the management at the Co-op recognized that as an important public service that they could assist by letting us use their spare antenna.
We, as a club need to protect and nurture or relationship with the Co-op, because we certainly do not want to lose the use of their tower and antenna!

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

On Nov 19, 2018, at 9:35 PM, Keith Ballow <keith@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for that bit of history.  I was born and raised here in Henderson and LOVE Henderson history and that is part of it.  Very interesting!   Thanks for sharing that!
My parents came here around 1970-1971 so I have no other family here but I always have, and always will call Rusk County my own.

Eric Smith

Agreed, the history is an important part of our city and club.

Thank you Keith for sharing I’ll be sure to keep that information as long and I’m still ticking.

We do need to reintroduce ourselves to the new MGMT at RCEC and be sure we can maintain our spot, or look forward to a new spot if we cannot but we need to be sure they understand the value we provide to the community.

Good stuff - Eric

Thank you very much for that bit of history.  I was born and raised here in Henderson and LOVE Henderson history and that is part of it.  Very interesting!   Thanks for sharing that!
My parents came here around 1970-1971 so I have no other family here but I always have, and always will call Rusk County my own.

Eric Smith

Thank you Ross,

You are an asset to our club and I’m glad you are with us!

You always come up with something positive and that is a great thing.

  • Eric

[...]

Thank you!

Mind you—it’s y’all’s fault. Doing all that interesting stuff and making everybody welcome when they show up.

On Nov 19, 2018, at 11:11 PM, Eric Smith <KR5G@...> wrote:

Thank you Ross,

You are an asset to our club and I’m glad you are with us!

You always come up with something positive and that is a great thing.

  • Eric

Stephen Freeman

Lol!  Yeah, I do have to say the Rusk County club is pretty good at welcoming new folks so if yall are looking to stay exclusive, you need to make some changes!  I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea to check in with the latest Rusk County Electric folks.  I'm not officially a member, but will help with whatever is needed.