Topics

Fusion, Digital Repeater working in C4FM mode!

Keith Ballow

Great News!!!
The RCARC’s Fusion Repeater is finally working in C4FM digital, and or FM Analog!!!
Give it a try!
145.250, -6 offset, 131.8 PL tone.

It also should be transmitting a 131.8 Hz. Tone on FM transmissions, so you can set your FM radio to encode and decode a 131.8 Hz tone if you do not have a digital radio. This should keep you from having to listen to the digital modulation on a FM radio. If the repeater is transmitting in digital mode there will not be a 131.8 Hz. Tone so your FM radio’s squelch should not open.

The coverage is not great, considering the antenna is just above my chimney here at my QTH about 6 miles west of Henderson, off Hwy 64 west towards Turner Town and Tyler, but I have been able to get into the repeater from downtown Henderson, up on the square from my mobile in FM mode. Maybe the Digital mode will have a bit better coverage.

We need to use the repeater to see how reliable it is and if it hangs up or not.

If you transmit in FM mode, the repeater should sense the mode and repeat your signal in FM mode. If you transmit in C4FM, the repeater should sense the mode it is receiving and transmit your signal back out in C4FM digital. I’m not sure what will happen if two mobiles transmit at the same time with one using FM and one using Digital. Guess we will find out!

Right now I have the controller set to speak the time and date on the hour, and every quarter hour just to have it doing something and draw a little attention to itself. These voice messages will always be transmitted in FM Analog mode since they originate from the SCOM 7330 controller and it only controls the repeater in FM mode.

There are no Digital PL tones or codes set in the repeater for digital mode. Just set your radio for Digital DN mode and call CQ!

I’m certain we will find some bugs to work out and there are still a lot of things I need to set up in the controller, but I finally found the magic combination to get it working in Auto Mode Sense!

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

image1.jpeg

Eric Smith

Congrats Mr. Keith.

I’ll try again in the AM.

Stupid question:

Currently if I have the Top Band on the FTM-400 set to FM with the Red Line on top it SHOULD do digital first Correct?

I have that memory setup with the Transmit PL Tone, and the offset.

Do I need to have a digital Entry and a Analog Entry?

Or should the above config work for both?

  • KR5G

[...]

Ross Bennett

Not a stupid question at all.  In fact, it was such a non-stupid question that the last firmware upgrade changed the way the radio worked so it would be “easier” to switch between the two modes.

If your FTM-400 has the latest firmware, then the red line up top means the radio will switch between digital and analog based on what it receives.  But if you’re transmitting into the open air, it’ll use whichever mode is listed below it.  If it’s the red bar over the white “FM” then it will transmit in analog.  If it’s the red bad over one of the red digital modes, it’ll use that digital mode.

If you’ve got the red bar showing and you want to switch between analog and digital, quick-key your microphone and it’ll switch to digital if you’re in analog, and if you’re in digital it’ll switch to analog.  This is the new firmware behavior.

If you have the older firmware, you have to manually press the mode button to switch through the one analog or three digital modes.

You only need the one channel programmed in any event.  :-)

If you have the PL tone set for a channel, it’ll use it in the analog mode. PL Tones are an analog signal thing, so they’re meaningless (and ignored) in the digital modes.

I hope I didn’t overcomplicate that.

On Oct 30, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Eric Smith <KR5G@...> wrote:
Stupid question:

Currently if I have the Top Band on the FTM-400 set to FM with the Red Line on top it SHOULD do digital first Correct?

I have that memory setup with the Transmit PL Tone, and the offset.

Do I need to have a digital Entry and a Analog Entry?

Or should the above config work for both?

  • KR5G

Ross Bennett
Amateur Radio Station KI5SR
Kilgore, Texas

Keith Ballow

Eric,

With the FT-400, it will only do Digital on the top half of the radio, so all your digital memories need to be stored on the top half of the radio. I believe the red line over the mode indicator tells you that the AMS, Auto Mode Select, is active and the FT-400 will switch to whatever it hears. If no one else is talking on the repeater and you key up with FM shown, and a line over it, the FT-400 will transmit in FM. If you have DN shown with a line over it the FT-400 will transmit in DN “Digital”, if it as not received a FM signal in the last little bit.
If I’m not mistaken, the mode, DN, FM, VW, shown on the right of the display without a line over them tells the radio to receive and transmit in that mode no mater what. (AMS Off). With the line over the mode the radio is set to switch to whatever mode it has just received. (AMS On) We need to test that out or someone may know for sure if that is correct or not.

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Michael Searcy

The radio by default is set to automatically transmit on whatever mode it receives from the repeater when the line is over it.  I leave it on FM but when the red line appears I know that there are digital capabilities.

Sent from Outlook on my iPhone.

Michael Searcy
Phone – 903.655.4805
michael@...
www.michael-searcy.com (http://www.michael-searcy.com/)

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this transmittal and accompanying documents is protected by both state and federal law. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of this transmittal is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents.

The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party except as may be permitted by law, and is required to destroy the information after its intended purpose has been fulfilled, unless otherwise permitted by law.

[...]

You are absolutely correct on all counts, Keith!

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:38 PM, Keith Ballow <keith@...> wrote:

[...]

Ross detailed it perfectly.

[...]

Thanks Ross!
I think you just verified what I was thinking!
Now I’l have to check my FT-400 and see what version firmware it is running. This firmware upgrading business is kind of a drag! But it’s nice to get upgrades to the behavior of the radios with just a firmware upgrade!

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:35 PM, Ross Bennett <therossbennett@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you ross that explained it perfect, I believe I am on the most recent firmware but I will confirm that!

I appreciate you digging into this, and keeping us informed it’s a great service!

  • KR5G

[...]

I will try a few different ways tomorrow AM, I get the best signal obviously passing over the 69/571 bridge If I can I’ll pull over and try a few different things.

I’ll report back to you later!

KR5G

[...]

Bob Tomlinson

So as I have my 400 now 2m is on top and 440 on the bottom.    In this configuration only 2m will pick up Fusion or DMR?   So far I’ve not heard any on it.   I’m now curious how others are running the memories?

Bob KJ5CF

On Oct 30, 2018, at 8:40 PM, Michael Searcy <michael@...> wrote:

[...]

David Chenault

Bob,

It will receive FM on top and bottom but only do fusion on the top band. (It won’t receive DMR at all).

My reason for getting the 400 was for APRS. It will run voice and APRS simultaneously, so I run mine with all the voice channels on the top and APRS always on the bottom. Now, I have other channels programmed on the bottom, so if I want to monitor two channels at the same time, I can.

David