Re: aluminum truck

Keith Ballow

Stephen,

I have not had to fight this battle yet with any of my vehicles, but you might have to look for some little metal shims that would go between the aluminum and the set screws in the antenna base. These would give the set screws more surface area against the softer aluminum and not let the points of the set screws push into the aluminum as easy.
Eric, KR5G has dealt with this on his truck I think, so he may have some other, or better suggestions.

Keith

-.- -. ..... --.

Keith Ballow
1193 CR 481 W
Henderson, TX. 75654
903.658.3777 Cell

On Feb 7, 2020, at 1:09 AM, Stephen Freeman <firebug@...> wrote:

Hey guys!  I just bought an aluminum body Ford (no negative comments please, it's a really awesome King Ranch that I love).   I had been using a K400s mount for my diamond antenna and it worked great with the set screws digging into the steel hood.  Now not so much.   So what have you aluminum body truck guys found to be most affective for a ground plane for an aluminum body vehicle?  I would really like to keep using the K400 so what is the best way to ground it?   I actually haven't tried mounting the radio in the new truck yet so I'm off the air mobile until I figure out a plan.

Thanks!
Stephen K5SKF

--
Keith